Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Self Portraits

As a photographer, I prefer to be behind the camera. Recently, I read a book of 365 self portraits (one for everyday in a year). I thought to myself, "there is no way I would be discipline enough to ever do something like that"; at the same time thinking that it would be a really great documentation of oneself. I also began questioning why I hate having my picture taken. As a kid, it never seemed a problem... posing on the beach in Mexico when I was one wearing my mother's negligee. But as I've grown up and been assimilated into a culture of judgements and self-loathing, I've become much less open to myself and others. I've become reclusive- knowing that in hiding oneself, there is no rejection. In the past, I've thought that hiding myself from others was easier than the alternative. And now, I realize that we are only granted one life on this earth, one chance to connect with others going through the same worldly experience, one opportunity to experience as much as we possibly can. It's not necessarily easier to close oneself off from the outside world but it is definitely much lonelier. So what if someone misunderstands you? We are not here to make everyone else happy. We are here to find happiness within ourselves.
Here are some preliminary self portraits. I'm learning to be closer to the other side of the lens and to be open to all the failure and rejection I will experience in the future. Without being open to all the failures in this life, you cannot be open to all the possibilities either.



I see myself in you.



The rest are from when I was living in Mexico in 2008.



4 comments:

  1. This post made me cry. You are a most beautiful and amazing young woman with many gifts and insights to share with the world. I am so glad that you are in Mitchell's life and now mine.
    You are a blessing for sure. This quote is a favorite of mine and I think speaks to your beautiful post above.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
    Anais Nin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an old sole in a very young body! It takes most of us until we are in our 40's to realize that life is short, so live each day to it's fullest in your own way & who cares what anyone thinks. And threw that happiness in oneself you spread joy to others, which YOU do everyday. I am overwhelmed with happiness (& teary eyed) to see where you've been & how it has all lead you to this positive point in your life. This makes my heart sing instead of break. I love you Nicholetta. We are all lucky to have you in our short lives. And my love to Mitchell who has helped you open your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all your support in my healing process. I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for supportive parents like you and Jim. I am so grateful for you both! XO

    ReplyDelete